Mayor Garcetti announces departure of Convention Center Executive Director Bud Ovrom
January 5, 2017
LOS ANGELES — L.A. Convention Center Executive Director Bud Ovrom will step down after three-and-a-half years of service, Mayor Eric Garcetti announced today.
Ovrom has led the Convention Center since Mayor Garcetti took office, and he’s served the City of Los Angeles for more than 13 years.
“Bud has been a tremendous asset to my administration — he has overseen several years of impressive business at the Convention Center, and helped bring us closer to the vision of a fully-renovated, world-class convention facility,” said Mayor Garcetti. “I thank Bud for his service, and his commitment to making L.A. a more prosperous City.”
Ovrom has led the Convention Center to several successful years since Mayor Garcetti took office. Under his leadership, the Convention Center is projected to have brought in more than $32 million of convention business last year — the most in its history. Prior to his time at the Convention Center, he served as Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa’s top economic advisor, then as head of the Department of Building and Safety until his appointment to the Convention Center.
“It’s been an honor to lead the Convention Center over the last three-and-a-half years, and be a part of such an incredible economic resurgence across our city,” Ovrom said. “I’m grateful to Mayor Garcetti for this opportunity, and look forward to seeing his vision for Downtown L.A. move forward.”
Ovrom will transition out of his role until he officially steps down on March 26.